Foot and Mouth Disease | FAQ

Here are some questions that people are asking. We have created a FAQ group with DAFF (thanks to Dr. Marietta Bronkhorst for her help):Is there a movement ban on animals?There is no ban on the movement of animals in general, although it is advisable that movements should be restricted and discouraged as far as possible. The Gazette Notice does not prohibit the movement of animals.  It prohibits the gathering of cloven hoofed animals, where there are two or more places of origin, and where the intention is to move the animals to two or more destinations, within a time period shorter than 28 days. Are there any restrictions on the movement of animals from one farm to another?The movement of animals between properties falls outside the scope of this Gazette Notice.  The requirements that were applicable prior to the issuing of this notice are still applicable.  There is no requirement for a government veterinary movement permit to be issued in terms of this Gazette.If movements must take place, it is advised that a health declaration for movement is used, which requires veterinary inspection of the animals to be moved to ascertain that they are not showing clinical signs of Foot and Mouth Disease. This assists the seller and buyer of animals to limit potential spread of disease and subsequent liabilities.How will live sales in the informal trade be regulated?The emphasis must be on self-regulation and buyers must be made aware that they must only buy safe animals. Sellers of infected animals […]